SUBMISSION GUIDELINES FOR AFRICA HAIKU PRIZE 2020
We accept only Africa themed haiku i.e. haiku about African sights, sounds and settings.
Haiku based on non-African theme will not be accepted, however, haiku with universal themes may be considered.
– Haiku must contain clear images, settings and juxtaposition.
– Haiku must be concise and as brief as possible. (Seventeen syllable haiku are welcome).
– One-word or one-liner haiku will not be accepted.
– We will not tolerate plagiarism, profanity, use of vulgar words and politically motivated verses.
– We encourage the use of African season words as opposed to the Japanese kigo.
– We do not accept haiga.
– Please submit up to five (5) haiku for this contest.
Submission window opens from April 1, 2020, to June 30, 2020, and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, the official email address of Africa Haiku Network. Emails should carry subject line “Africa Haiku Prize 2020”, followed by name and country of submitter in the body of mail.
Results will be out between July and August 2020 and judges or panel announced concurrently.
Judges or panel’s decision on winning haiku is final and not subject to negotiation.
There is no restriction on submitter’s age, and every person can submit to either the African Category or Non-African Category with the exception of members of Africa Haiku Network editorial team.
The overall winners in each category will receive gifts and certificate. While 2nd and 3rd place winners in each category receive certificate only. We will also acknowledge other distinguished non-winning haiku by way of honourable mention.
We hope to improve upon winners’ prizes in the years ahead.